Aaaand, it's done.

Here it is. The finished render for the hallway scene I've been working on. I'm pleased with how it turned out. :) Spending some more time trying different setups with the lighting definitely helped the overall look and feel; I think it's much more interesting than my earlier versions that were washed out in blue or green. The subtle particle effect and reflections also added a bit of interest and atmosphere to the scene. Looking forward, I think I'll get more technical (material blending, vertex painting) with scenes I do in the future. Maybe I'll update this one with those elements.

Check out the video in high quality if you can and scroll down for some breakdowns of the scene.



Props used in the scene.





 Here are some of the more "involved" materials I created with the help of some great tutorials I found online. The first one is a material that's applying real-time reflections to the floor. Using the alpha channel from the diffuse texture, I was able to mask off the grout, which didn't need reflections. I've bumped up the value of the constant controlling the strength to better show the reflections in the right image.


For the tiled sections of the walls, I faked reflections using another texture I created using the two wall textures (white tile and green paint). You can see the effect slightly in the preview window. Again, I'm using a single constant in the Reflection Power group to control the intensity of the reflection.


This material, which is being applied to the light and mirror, is using a combination of fake reflections and independent specular control which is achieved by using the rgb channels from a separate texture. Creating a new texture to just control the spec values isn't very efficient, but it was good practice to learn how to use something like this for future work.